Smoke, Soot and Odor Removal After House Fires
Not only can the flames of a fire cause enormous damage, the ash, soot and smoke residue create a noxious environment in the home.
Both smoke and soot can create irritating odors, discolor walls or ceilings and cause breathing issues if there is a high concentration of ash left over.
Even a small home fire can cause a great amount of damage due to soot and smoke damage. We have arrived at jobs where a small kitchen fire may have caused minimal structural damage, yet smoke has managed to permeate items throughout the home and soot has covered every surface of the home. If you were to look at photos of a home with smoke damage, the damage doesn't appear substantial yet the clean up job is a big one.
SERPVRO of Shelton, Naugatuck is IICRC Certified to restore your home after a fire. When called to a job, our crew members have the expertise and equipment to properly treat all surfaces of ash and soot. Because ash can reactive negatively to certain cleaning agents, possibly causing permanent damage and toxic fumes, this is not a job that can be done with store bought cleaning agents. We have a large production facility in which we clean and store personal belongings off site while the home restoration is ongoing.
If you have a fire, there is no time to wait- give our team a call for a quick and expert response.
How to Choose a Restoration Company
When you’ve had water or fire damage at your Oxford area home or business, your first step after the flooding has been stopped or fire is out will be to find a restoration company.
Unless you have a family member or friend who swears by a particular company that they’ve had experience with, you will find yourself typing in a internet search and trying to choose a company based on the results.
We understand that it’s hard to pick a trustworthy company from the internet, especially when you may be in a state of distress and under a time constraint. Internet ratings and reviews such as on Google and Facebook are a good way to see what kind of experience others in your community have had with a company. We also recommend that you make sure potential restoration company meets the following criteria:
- Choose Local. When your house has damage, it’s important that the company you hire is locally owned and operated. The last thing that you need during the restoration process is being out on hold by a customer service representative in another state. SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck is locally owned and our office staff and technicians live here too. They understand the unique situation that you are in first hand.
- Check Credentials. Make sure that the restoration company that you hire is fully licensed to do restoration and contracting work in the state of Connecticut. A certified restoration professional demonstrates that the company has received extensive training and is in good standing. The technicians on our staff are IICRC certified and skilled in using high-tech restoration equipment and employing advanced restoration methodologies.
- Use only an Insured Restoration Company. Insurance protects the technicians working onsite as well as you, the property owner. Any injuries to the homeowner or workers that result from the restoration process are covered by general liability insurance. Damage to the property itself that occurs as a consequence to the restoration work performed is also covered under the company’s insurance.
- Inquire About the Companies Availability. When water disasters strike, such as in weather related flooding or frozen pipes, the damage is often widespread throughout the community. A small restoration company may not have the resources to respond to the job quickly and complete the work in an expedient manner. SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck is available 24/7 and we have a large crew so when widespread damage occurs, we can meet ALL of our customers needs.
- Ask for References. If you’d like to speak to a previous customer or two before hiring a restoration company, don’t be shy about asking for references. Choosing who to care for your home can be a big decision and having the assurance from somebody who has been in your situation can really help!
Now is the time to prepare.
It’s almost August and we are getting ready for the tropical storms and hurricanes that cause significant wind and water damage here in the Naugatuck Valley.
With a few more months of hurricane season ahead of us, take the time now to prepare for the next storm.
Before the Hurricane:
- Create or Replenish Your Emergency Kit. Ready.gov recommends these items for every household.
- Find out whether your property is flood-prone due to its elevation level and consider flood insurance if you are at risk.
- Store copies of important documents, such as proof of ownership of any property and identification, as well as insurance policy information in your emergency kit.
- Back up the data on your electronic devices to ensure it’s secure if your computer or other devices are damaged during the hurricane.
Get your property ready:
- Secure your roof. Check your roof for any loose shingles
- Maintain gutters and downspouts. Clean your gutters and downspouts regularly to prevent clogs.
- Secure your windows. For homes in CT, Installing plywood is a good temporary protection for your windows.
- Trim trees and shrubs. Loose branches in your yard (and neighborhood) could be struck by powerful winds during a storm, damaging your house.
- Secure loose objects. Your yard may also host objects that could become projectiles in high winds. Bring loose objects such as potted plants and lawn furniture inside and tie down larger items- such as trampolines and swingsets.
- Charge your cell phone to have a full battery if the power goes out.
- Turn your refrigerator to the coldest setting so that food lasts longer during a power outage.
- Take a trip to the gas station and fill up your cars as well as emergency fuel for your generator.
After the Hurricane
- Be cautious of floodwater: it may also can contain contaminants, dangerous debris or downed power lines.
- Contact your insurance company for assistance and take pictures of damaged property.
- Don’t touch wet electrical equipment
- Throw out food that has been exposed to floodwaters or have not been maintained at a proper temperature. When in doubt, throw it out.
- Don’t drink tap water if you’re not sure it’s safe.
SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck specializes in storm damage clean-up.
Our 24 hour Emergency Services Team is ready to come board up or tarp up your damaged home or business. From water damage restoration to rebuilding your home after the storm, we are THE team to call after a hurricane damages your home.
Toilet Overflows at Area Restaurants
The plumbing system in your busy restaurant receives a lot of wear and tear.
Because of the number of people filtering in and out of the bathrooms all day long, it is essential that you keep up with plumbing repairs and maintenance.
We know that water disasters can still occur despite being vigilant about the upkeep of your facility. If you do have a flood in your public bathroom, the clean up and restoration must be handled quickly and professionally so that your business continuity is minimally affected.
The time to call SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck is immediately upon the discovery of a bathroom flood.
We understand time is of the essence in these situations and have crews ready to quickly respond to your call. Once we have removed any standing water, we examine the flooring. In a typical restaurant bathroom that has ceramic tile installed, the tiles and grout joints are water resistant when they are installed over plywood. However, any cracks make the tile and underlying subfloor vulnerable to water damage.
Oftentimes, the tile itself may not be damaged but the water will have penetrated the grouting, causing the subfloor to warp or expand. This can cause the tiles to break apart at the joints and come loose. To check for moisture under ceramic tiles, SERVPRO technicians use a non-penetrating meter. It might be necessary to dry the floor from the bottom or to drill holes into the floor so we can adequately monitor the drying process.
SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck wants to get your Oxford area eatery open for business as quickly as possible however our number one priority is doing the water damage restoration job right the first time so that you don’t experience any secondary problems, such as mold.
HVAC Causes Water Damage
Has an air conditioner leak causing water damage to your home?
Air conditioners are known to leak – whether from a dirty filter, a malfunctioning pump, a cracked drain pan or even a damaged evaporator coil. We’ve seen this cause significant water damage to New Haven area homes. It can soak sheetrock walls and ceilings as well as insulation and carpeting.
If you have flooding from an A/C leak, your first course of action is to shut the unit off and call your serviceman to identify and repair the problem. Then, call SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck to clean it up. When we receive your call, our office will send a team out to inspect the situation and immediately start the restoration work.
To treat water damage caused by air conditioning units, our treatment plan will likely include water extractors to remove any standing water as well as water that has soaked into carpets and upholstery. We also treat water damage events with air movers and dehumidifiers to remove the moisture out of the air and expedite the drying process. We use our floor mat extraction system to remove the moisture from wet wood and tile floors. This system utilizes a strong suction by use of mats, which are attached to a vacuum with hoses, allowing the vacuum to draw out moisture from underneath the floor.
Our services include the removal of any damaged and unsalvageable materials such as wet sheetrock, flooring and damaged baseboards. Our building services team is CT licensed to rebuild the damaged portions of your home. This might include repairing and painting walls, installing new flooring or even a complete rebuild of your home if necessary.
Emergency Hurricane Response
How does hurricane season affect southern Connecticut?
What we often see here at SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck is wind and water damage to homes and businesses. Hurricanes can rip shingles, roofing and insulation off roofs, quickly exposing a home to the rain. Our team has restored homes with extensive damage such as gaping holes in the roof.
Hurricane roof damage should be repaired as quickly as possible to prevent additional destruction to your home’s interior. Broken windows are also an issue during a storm that must be immediately addressed. When there is a hurricane projected, our franchise is always prepared with tarps and boards to provide our community with an immediate response.
Flooding and Water Damage
Flooding and water damage are common problems after a hurricane, especially if a home has sustained roof damage, door damage or window damage. They allow water to seep into your home, causing damage to your property and belongings. We often respond to homes and businesses with basement flooding after high winds.
When a storm hits, our team is ready and prepared to provide emergency service when you need it!
Twenty Four - Seven
Many of our clients are commercial property owners. When you own a business in Connecticut, you cant afford to shut your doors for any length of time. If your building suffers from water, mold or fire damage, a quick response and timely restoration is necessary.
We know that you can't afford to wait around for a water restoration company to call you back and "try to get there by the end of the week". If your business has been damaged, you need help and you need it now. That's why at SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck, we have a crew on call 24-7. If you have an emergency, we will be there asap - even if it's at night or on the weekend. We are part of the community and here to help. If you are reading this because your business is flooded, call us now for immediate service.
Why the Type of Flood Water Matters
Our approach to treating water damage in Connecticut homes depends on which category it falls into.
CAT 1 or Clean Water
Clean water is just that- water that has come from a source that is not contaminated. Examples of this would be a pipe bursting or a refrigerator leak. Also, if you have a leak that allows rainwater in through your roof, it is considered clean. The biggest hazard clean water presents is if the area that has been damaged is not properly cleaned and dried. This can result in mold and fungus growth.
CAT 2 or Gray Water
Gray water is water that is slightly contaminated, either because of the nature of the source or because of neglect. For example, clean water can become “gray” water if it is left untreated for an extended period time. When a toilet or washing machine overflows, the resulting water would be considered gray because of its source. Toilet overflows containing urine only are considered gray.
CAT 3 or Black Water
CAT 3 water may include bacteria, chemicals, pesticides, microbes and more. Sewage based components such as bacteria, fungi, feces, viruses and parasites. Black 3 water situations are usually caused by sewage backups or overflows and flooding.
Since the human eye cannot see bacteria, it is not always obvious whether the water in your home is a CAT 2 or CAT 3. If you experience a flood from a heavy rain, the water may look “clean,” but if there is any ground water that has backed up into your home as a result, there may be invisible microbes lurking in the water.
Any water damage that is not treated correctly will eventually elevate to the next category. Even a simple pipe burst can turn into a mold issue if not treated. If you have any water damage in your home, give us a call at (203) 664-3190 for service that you can count on.
Commercial Water Damage Restoration in Shelton
When a water or mold emergency strikes your business, time is paramount in keeping your financial losses down and eliminating the need of having to close your doors for a lengthy period of time.
The team from SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck has serviced many local businesses over the past twenty years. Our team has the experience to get the job done fully and efficiently so that disruption to your business is minimal.
Whether it be a shopping plaza in which mold behind a shared wall affected two businesses, a new big box store with water damage due to a construction mishap or an apartment complex in which a kitchen sink leak damaged 4 apartments, our team is trained and equipped to mitigate the damage.
Call SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck immediately if your business experiences a sewage leak, oil spill or burst pipes. Our crew will be on the job and working hard so that your business can keep its doors open.
Board Ups, Pack Outs and Content Management
When your business or home has had a fire, the restoration process involves more than the structural restoration of your home.
In addition to cleaning the smoke from the air in your home and the soot off of the surfaces, SERVPRO of Shelton, Naugatuck offers the following services:
In many cases in which there has been a fire, it is necessary to secure the openings of your home, such as the windows, doors and the roof. Our team uses sturdy, durable materials designed to protect homes from both the outside elements such as rain and snow as well as intrusion by outsiders. This is often one of the first actions we will take when we arrive at the job - even if it’s in the middle of the night.
After a fire, it may be necessary to move some or all of your personal belongings and furniture out of your home. This may be to protect your contents, to make the restoration and rebuild of your home easier and also in order to clean your things off site. Our franchise offers a pack out service and also has a dedicated storage facility in which we can store your items. Items such as carpeting, electronics, artwork and furniture might be restored off site by our technicians.
When your home or business has experienced a fire, it is important to take an inventory of the contents inside prior to anything being discarded or packed up. At SERVPRO, we use a system called the Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which allows us to generate comprehensive room-by-room inventories. As we go through the items , we will categorize the contents as salvageable, non-salvageable and questionable. This allows for easier contents settlement with your insurance company.
Home fires are devastating. The restoration process doesn't have to be.